Staying In The US After You’ve Graduated

A lot of people choose to come to the US for college, but some want to stay even after graduation. Here are some ideas for how you can stay in the US after you’ve graduated.

Image Source: Pexels

A lot of people choose to study in the US, and it’s easy to see why. The colleges are incredible, and it’s the ideal way to explore everything the country has to offer through travel and culture.

After an amazing four years in college, it’s no surprise that many people want to stay after graduation and start their careers in the US. While getting a visa can be tough, it doesn’t have to be impossible to remain a resident after you’ve left college.

Secure sponsorship from an employer

One of the easiest ways to be granted a visa and perhaps even a green card, is to obtain sponsorship from an employer. If you’re interested in becoming a legal permanent US resident, then this could be the best route to help you get there. This will mean having to find a suitable job, which can be competitive, especially for graduates. 

Work on your application and interview skills to help you land a good job that will help you get the visa you need.

Apply for an OPT extension

If you’re a student on an F-1 visa, you can apply for an OPT visa that allows you to extend your stay up to 12 months after graduation. With this visa, you don’t need to be sponsored by an employer. If you’re a STEM student (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics), you can have an extension of up to 24 months, but you will need to secure a job in your field related to your degree. 

The OPT route can be an excellent way to experience the US outside of college life, and decide if it’s where you want to be long-term. You could also move to a different city or state and experience another part of the US.

Go down the H-1B Visa: Specialty Occupations route 

The H-1B Visa for special occupations can give a nonimmigrant visa that allows temporary residency for those with skills in special occupations. You can check out the list of specialty occupations, which even includes fashion models! With the right skillset, you could have what’s needed to help you stay in the US for longer.

Work towards a green card

If you want to become a permanent resident of the US, you’re going to need a green card. However, this can take a lot of work, and there are a lot of associated costs with applying for a green card. You could choose to go down this route after obtaining other visas, or start looking at your application immediately. There are experts you can hire to help you with your application, ensuring you’ve filled out all the details correctly. 

With different options available to you, there are ways you can stay in the US after you’ve graduated. Explore the path that’s the most relevant to you to help you extend your stay and being the next chapter of your life after college.  

pink blog divider
Like what you see? Follow Drunk On Pop on bloglovin’!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.